Saturday, July 23, 2011

AAR3: The ULF in Uwanda - A Voice is Heard

A Uwandan soldier was speaking to a UBN reporter just as shooting broke out at the town known as objective A56:

"The people here are from the Pettu tribe, and they do not like us being here, nor do they like the central government. We are here to protect them from attack, but they call us names; the children throw garbage and rocks at us. The Ogsi people do not behave this way, why must the Pettu act like this? "

"You see down the road, that man speaking to the people, he is the town elder.   An angry man it would seem, he wants the Pettu people to be in charge.   He is telling them that we are here to take their land from them. The people were singing, but are now chanting.  Is that shooting?  Someone is shooting!  I think they are coming this way... move...move..."

Battle number 3 takes place at town A56 a little south of where the previous fighting took place, and in the heart of the Pettu tribal territory.  The town leader and many of the citizens are members of this tribal group that is mostly located in Mugabia.  The area has had problems over the years due to the tribal affiliations, and is the basis for ULF resistance.  

Above - A view of A56 looking to the southeast. 
The battle is in progress in this view.

After the attacks at A59, Uwandan army troops were deployed to the border villages.  Most, though not all of the towns and villages offered a warm welcome to the troops.  During a speech to the local population by their civilian leader, fighting broke out between the army troops and local ULF militia and village guard. A TV crew was present, and though details are still sketchy, it appears that the village guard troops sided with local ULF fighters and ambushed the army troops posted at all of the roads leading into town.

Above - The leader of the people rejoices in the chaos surrounding him.

Above - A view from the roadblock to the north of town.
Uwandan soldiers trying to advance, but meeting stiff
resistance from the ULF and traitorous village guard.

Government troops at 2 of 4 roadblocks and in town were quickly overwhelmed, while troops at the two remaining roadblocks fought well, and made some progress advancing into town. They inflicted heavy casualties, but were unable to coordinate their attacks and eventually withdrew.

Above - A view of the aftermath of battle at the east end of town. 
A halftrack burns; there are only casualties here.

Between the village guard and ULF militia, only about 20 fighters were available, but were sufficient to overwhelm 30 or more government troops spread out at the roadblocks and in town. Uwandan infantry lost 23 troops and 2 M3 halftracks, while the fighters are estimated to have lost 17 killed or wounded.  It is also believed that a number of villagers were caught in the crossfire.
Above - A view of the town looking East.  ULF and village guard
are still in the streets.  Fighting has ended at all but the northern road block.
Despite being a small action, it is none the less a stinging defeat for Uwanda, and a propaganda prize for the ULF. 
A note on the tribal names.  They are not meant to represent any actual clans or tribal groups.  The Pettu are made up of mostly PETer Pig figs, while the Ogsi consist of mostly Old Glory figs.


  1. Another great battle report!

  2. The tactical combat is my old homebrew rules for mech warfare. I also created a set of strategic rules to manage political aspects, popular action/reaction, supply, movement, etc. And, there is a set of "storyline rules" that are in a constant state of evolution and expansion, a sort of role-playing component. With each game or event, I creat characters to support a storyline of events. These can be non-combat related political leaders, reporters,etc, and usually one or two personalities for each faction involved in the battle on the table, usually officers or leaders. The storyline rules are mostly a series of D10 tables that decide actions taken by those leaders. For example, the second battle took place, because I rolled an "immediate response" result for Abdi, a 20% chance. Abdi's other options could have been to wait for direction from the mugabian army advisor 70%, or to kill the advisor 10%. I'm sure that it sounds tedious, but it is actually very simple and creates situations that I'm not creative enough to think up on my own.