Thursday, May 7, 2020

Switching Gears (or Projects)

Well, due to businesses not currently trading because of Covid-19, I can't get the miniatures that I need to finish my Cold War project, so I need to put it on hold for a little bit, and find something else to work on.

I've still got all kinds of hobby mojo going, and am thirsting to continue work on my hobby.  While finishing up the last batch of 6mm vehicles this week, I've been trying to pick a project to move on too. But to be honest, I'm completely psyched about the Cold War, and nothing else is really grabbing me.  WWII would be okay, but it is in the same boat as my Cold War stuff;  I need figs that I can't currently get.


Given that my 6mm and 15mm projects are all, more or less, dead in the water, my remaining options are 28mm  projects that have been ignored for some time; post apocalypse, fantasy, or near-future sci-fi/adventure.


Despite the lack of activity on these, I've continuously picked up a lot of stuff for these over the years, much of it tossed into boxes on shelves for that day when I finally get around to working on it.  

In recent days, while waiting for Cold War miniatures to dry, I've been pulling stuff from shelves, sorting through boxes, and discovering a few long lost treasures.  Here is the heap as it stands at the moment:

 
Men, monsters and machines for the three projects 
(among other things) pulled from the their hiding places

28mm Post apocalypse - This is the only one of the three that has been on the table top in recent years.  Right now, the main thing that I need is a ton of buildings, both ruined, and reclaimed,  and a number of very specific figures.  This project will involve a lot of very detailed, and quite tedious model-building to move forward.  It will be quite a change of pace from the type of stuff I've been working on in recent months.

28mm Post-apoc stuff  (mostly) with hundreds of painted figs 
in the red boxes.  Vehicles mostly are at the other end of the
table in the cardboard boxes, visible in the first photo above.

28mm Fantasy - This has been an itch over the last couple of years that just won't go away.  I have dwarf and orc armies consisting of old GW figs (though not actually Warhammer armies), an unpainted elf army, and a mix of other odds and ends from days past.  This project will need a ton of work, starting with building most of the terrain, and figuring out what figures to buy.  The goal is to have an adventure game, more than just fantasy battles, so a large portion of my painted figs will likely be of little use.  Of the three projects, this would involve the most work, and be somewhat dependent on current figure availability.


Fantasy figures, mostly older GW, a bunch of Tom Meier Elves, 
and a small mix of others.  My 40 year old Grenadier dragon got 
clipped out of the pic.  Painted orcs are in the bins mostly 
clipped out at the top. 

28mm Near future sci-fi.  This is envisioned as a mixed setting, blending a contemporary landscape with that of the not too distant future, and accommodating a wide range of subjects/adventures, including cops and robbers, espionage, gang fights, alien invasions, zombies, etc.  I have a lot of figs, many painted, and bunches of partially completed terrain, buildings, and clutter for this project.


Most of the figs are painted for this in the little drawers, 
and in some of the red bins.  There is a lot of terrain and 
buildings to be finished for this though.

I intend to sort miniatures, vehicles, war-machines, and other bits into their various armies, factions, and groups, and hope that one of these projects just takes off in the coming days.

No comments:

Post a Comment