Sunday, April 26, 2020

Perma-Grit Files

I've mounted maybe a 1000 6mm infantry over the last couple of weeks, and probably the most tedious step in mounting them, is cleaning the underside of the bases of the castings.  As I was doing this earlier today,  it occurred to me that the tool that I was using made it a much easier and faster process than it had been in my early days of gaming. 

Years ago, I would have cut off the nubs or shaved the base with a hobby knife, occasionally breaking off a figure from the base, and probably nicking myself with the blade occasionally.  A tedious and precise business in any event.

Now, I use a tungsten-carbide grit file made by Perma-Grit Tools.  I've mentioned these a few times before, but they are one of the most useful hobby tools that I've found.  They last forever; I've only replaced one in over 25 years of use, and that was because I gummed it up severely, not because the grit wore off.

Anyway, here are couple of pics of the nubs that I'm cleaning off of the infantry and of the Perma-Grit tools. 

You can see the nubs on these H&R 6mm Modern Soviets 
above.  The nubs are most visible on the underside of 
the base on the middle figure, laying on its back.  

Some of my Perma-Grit files.  The angled 
one the left is probably the one I use the most.

For this task, I mostly use the Fine Angle File.  Several of my files have both fine and coarse grit sections, but I don't think those are available anymore.  The fine grit attacks soft metals quickly, while the coarse grit makes shaping plastic like styrene a piece of cake, and both grits work well for various tasks associated with resin.


Sorry for the commercial, I'm don't own the company, nor sell the product, I'm just a happy customer.

1 comment: