Friday, April 24, 2020

6mm Infantry Progress for the Cold War

This past Sunday, I spent more than 9 hours on my hobby.  The odd thing is that the time spent didn't result in any fancy new terrain, or drawers of newly painted figs; it ended up yielding a lot of completed research, a list of miniatures to purchase, and seemingly endless little cardboard trays of figures to mount and paint.  The day was spend organizing and inventorying, tediously cross-referencing TO&Es, and filling them out with the figures that I had on hand.  Some of the least enjoyable tasks associated with my hobby really, and I had a blast.

Since then, I've managed to get a few more of the figs mounted on their bases, and cleared up a couple of errors and oversights. Hers a few pics of what I'm working on:

French, West German, and British Infantry organized into companies 
with supporting elements for 1958, 1968, 1977, and 1982.  Most need 
to be primed and painted, some still aren't mounted on their bases yet.

The other half of the figs, US, Soviet, and East German; at least a 
few of these have been painted.

Two companies of US Mech infantry for the 1960s, these are GHQ 
figs (though most of my figs are Heroics and Ros), and need 
some platoon HQs and some support elements added yet. 

A Soviet Motor Rifle Battalion for BMPs missing their SA-7s and 
some supporting mortars (I think).  Again, these are GHQ figs.

In all, over 1300 6mm figs in various stages of organizing, mounting, and painting.  At least all of the units are organized and missing figs are noted and awaiting ordering.

I use a home-brew set of rules, and the basing conventions involve base size, number of figs, and in the case of heavy and support weapons, the specific figs on the base to indicate what the element represents.

I still need to order a lot of odds and ends from Heroics and Ros to complete many of the units, but getting to this point involved jumping a big hurdle.

6 comments:

  1. My god... you have 1300 and still need more. This is really WW3! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yeah, but only 400-500 more...and that's all I need.

      Well, that, and ...

      Delete
  2. This is an impressive number of figs. I'm curious how games will work with these. Let me ask, when did you first start with the project and how long was it on hold?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The general idea first popped into my head sometime in late 1983, but the miniatures filling in many of the gaps weren't available back then, and a a fair number not until much more recently.

      I guess I started to actively pursue the "four decades of the Cold War" during 2017, when I started to research the Cold War in some depth. Painting miniatures almost happened by accident, starting around August of 2018, and it still took some time to settle in on the actual target years for the Cold War campaigns during 2019. A rush of figure buying started in April of last year, and now I'm down to painting infantry and a few buildings, before starting the war in 1958.

      Delete
  3. I hear your pain. I have been on a painting spree with the lockdown, but have many more, some from back in the day, some I had a guy in England paint and some were already done when I got them. All told probably about 5000 figures over a dozen and a half to two dozen forces from WWII to ultra-modern, imaginations and some sci fi. Only about a 1000 more to go!

    Other than some from 30+ years ago all are un-based as I have yet to decide on a set or sets of rules. I play at 1:1 and am leaning to base at actual squads, or teams so from two to a dozen figures per base. Some forces will operate as a single squad at a time while others may be broken into support weapons team and rifle teams. More recent troops may be organized as four man fire teams.

    Now to confuse matters more I have read they operated as a single squad and not broken into maneuver and fire base elements at some point in the war. Plus at some point they had a second lmg. Did it replace a couple men per squad or did the squad grow to twelve troopers? Did the squad not operate as two separate elements, each with an lmg or the two lmgs worked together as a fire base while the remaining, five(?) guys were the maneuver unit? So did the two lmgs act as a single team or as two teams? How do I base for all of this??

    Then let's get into the "accurate" basing for Mujahideen and my head swims. Plus all the guys in berets (raspberry of course) with AKs for Bongolesia.

    Good old Striker where you chose how to base your forces is looking really good about now. Originally I was looking at using a system similar to ASL where three guys represents a full squad, and two meant a half squad or weapons team. But most of the games I have played needed a figure per trooper, and I was not going to individually base 6mm troops so....

    Man this is why I started painting micro armour aircraft. That and your AARs of the air war got that blood pumping again. But now what is the common load out for an Su-24 over Afghanistan during the Soviet occupation? That and which stations could handle a multiple ejector rack? Been digging out Air Superiority, Air Strike and the Speed of Heat again.

    Thanks for the push.

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It drive you crazy, doesn't it? For the last three weeks, I've been going back and forth over TO&E discrepancies, methods of basing things like light and medium AT weapons relative to the frequency of the weapon in squad and companies, etc.

      I did individual 6mm infantry many years ago, but rely on 15mm for that now. Now I use 3 figs to represent a squad, as I usually use some sort of compressed ground scale, either 10m, 20m, or 50m per inch.

      I have the luxury of having the rules system chosen, but eventually with all of this stuff, you just have to pick an option and go with it, or you never get the game on the table. Amazing what put ourselves through just to play with our toys.

      Delete