Friday, December 29, 2023

A 6mm Timber Artillery Bunker for the Soviets

While completing the Soviet 6mm fighting positions a few months back, I started working on a covered artillery bunker for the Soviets.  This type was of earthen and timber construction.  I actually need several of these for 76mm, 45mm, and machineguns.

In this case, I just built a one-off bunker to experiment with construction method a little, which is generally similar to the open positions that I built previously with the addition of plastic work to model the timber part of he construction.

The basic shape of the bunker was cut, mounted to a base, some acrylic paste added to the foam where the plastic would be glued, and the plastic cut and fitted.  The process proved to be a little more tedious than hoped for, particularly as the plastic had to be glued in place, rather than solvent welded.  The solvent readily dissolves the foam, and the acrylic paste doesn't provide adequate barrier.

In any event, here is the finished the bunker:  





The last view includes a 45mm ATG and crew, each 
mounted on 1/2" square bases.


The finished bunker measures about 3.5" wide and 7/8 inch tall.  I think it came out okay, useable, but I had hoped for a little more.  

I'll have a few more in process with a couple of revisions to construction.  I'll need to get those wrapped up over the weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Very nicely done Irish. I'm guessing the AT gun shown is on your usual base size and not made specifically for the bunker?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, 1/2" suare bases are my standard for smll guns and most infantry sections and crews.

      Delete