Sunday, March 5, 2023

Four Months in: "The Plan"

As readers may know, I keep a list of miniatures gaming projects noting the status of projects with a list of steps and check boxes for each.  I find that this process helps me stay motivated and organize the many projects on the list (currently numbering about 240).

Last September, I posted about a plan to help me complete projects and play more games. I chose ten of the thirty-some periods/genres/settings in which I want to game. Those "periods" are:

1/3788 scale Star Trek

6mm 1950s Cold War

6mm WWII East Front Barbarossa

15mm East Front Barbarossa

15mm france 1940

15mm Cold War 1958

15mm Cold War 1970s

15mm Soviet-Afghan War

20mm Vietnam

28mm Post Apocalypse

The plan actually went into effect during the first weekend of last November, and after four months, has gone pretty well, with the recent 15mm African buildings project being my only straying from the plan (though made it possible to set up today's game).  Some of the periods have seen little attention, while others have progressed tremendously.  The following is a brief summary of the four months of progress.

One of the more neglected projects,  1/3788 scale Trar Trek, the only progress has been to pick up three USS Reliant models to use as New Light Cruisers with Star Fleet Battles rules.

6mm 1950s Cold War has a seen a bit more progress, including the completion of Russian and British support and engineering vehicles, 15 feet of railroad tracks, painted aircraft, and 24 buildings.

The campaign rules are finished for 6mm WWII East Front Barbarossa.  I've purchased most of the missing vehicles, and have the Russian infantry in process. 

For 15mm East Front Barbarossa, progress is more limited, but includes having the campaign rules completed, picking up some 1/144 aircraft for the Soviets, and having ordered a bunch of 15mm Soviet vehicles.

I expect that 15mm 1940 France would have been the WWII project to advance the most, but all I've managed to do is fumble around with campaign structure ideas, not settling on anything yet.

15mm Cold War 1958 has seen notable work, having painted a batch of vehicles, including JS-IIIs, Conquerors, and other assorted vehicles.  I also completed a company of  British Cold War infantry, purchased some aircraft, and have a painted Venom awaiting decals.

The 15mm Soviet Afghan War has mostly seen research and design work for various field fortifications, a Hill system, roads, walls, gardens, and wells.  I completed a couple of small field fortifications, and roughed out some ideas for a small campaign.

My 20mm Vietnam rules rules got some tweaking, and a new company of PAVN await basing on my paint table.

Lastly,  for 28mm Post Apocalypse, I flocked a few figure bases that had been sitting around since the middle of 2021.

Plus there was the "off list" completion of the Afican houses for 15mm Imagi-Africa.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the progress.  The plan seems to be more or less working, with three of the periods on the list of ten being very near "complete".  I can now play games with 15mm Cold War 1958 forces and 6mm Barbarossa figs, which I could not last November.  And 15mm Barbarossa is almost to that state.  I'm guessing that by the end of the year, only three of the periods will still be on the plan list.  

3 comments:

  1. My goodness, Brian! And they say I'm ambitious; don't even hold a candle to the breadth and depth you've got going on!

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly have a lot on the go! I prefer to do one (or maybe two) things at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The reality is that I'm trying to make up for lost time. I had about a 15 year window, where I could go months without touching anything hobby due to circumstance, and now have a very constant awareness of my mortality, and that I haven't gamed most of what I had expected by this point.

    I think the one or two things at a time approach is probably a better way to go, and if starting over, would take that approach. But now I use all of my available time in what ever way I can; book work, computer, painting and modeling, means that I work on the next step for the different projects as they need done, dependent on the type of time window opens up. For example, I can do computer work during lunch at work, or book related research when my granddaughter is playing, etc.

    In any event, I'm just having an absolute blast with it all right now. I literally wake up every morning excited about what I'm going to get done today.

    ReplyDelete