Saturday, March 19, 2022

The Never Ending Battle

The last couple of weeks have been kind of quiet for me on the gaming front, not having gamed or really worked much on anything.  While the Ukraine war has rather cooled my jets on Cold War gaming for a little while, I've certainly not lost interest in the hobby, and have been sort of taking inventory of where things stand with my various projects and interests.

Despite having significantly purged projects and periods a couple of times in years past, I find that I now game more "periods" than ever, and functionally have interest in adding half a dozen more to the list.  A lot of the priods are interrelated, providing for some overlap in terrain, buildings, and armies; for example, gaming the cold war in two scales and over four decades, yields eight periods of play and building at least portions of 48 different armies and four sets of terrain.  

In all, there are 39 periods or subjects of play that I hope to ultimately put on the table.  And yet, I struggle with understanding that I need to somehow reduce the overall scope of what I game due to space and time limitations.  

I've come to realize that I derive less enjoyment from gaming post Cold War, third world subjects, such the Irag and Afghan wars, as my immersive style of play is not well suited to playing Taliban, Al quida, or ISIS types.   This was not something that occurred to me, while building armies for these conflicts, and I also always saw the use of the allied armies in other hypothetical settings.

I could cast off a few of these armies as a result of this realization, but it would only rid me of maybe three boxes of figs.  Less than a cubic foot of storage space opening up, as my Soviet-Afghan Mujahideen and African imagi-nation armies make up half of the forces, and none of the terrain used in those "ultra-modern" conflicts is unique to them.  Also, little work remains to be done for them, so my "to-do" list would not shrink either.

It would take some greater purge, such as deleting a period and scale entirely, eliminating 15mm WWII or 6mm Cold War would make a big dent, but would feel like losing a family member.

Additionally, it would mean getting rid of periods for which I've done the most work and that are the most complete.  To shorten my "to-do" list, and reduce the heap of unusable figs and stuff, it would make more sense to eliminate near-future sci-fi, post apoc, fantasy, or other 28mm periods and projects.  They take up a lot of room, require the most intensive work, and in their current state offer the smallest gaming options or chance of immediate return.

But then there is the consideration that I most enjoy working on 28mm figs and terrain.  For me the larger the scale, the more fun the work.  Eliminating the most enjoyable part of creating the game doesn't seem like a wise choice.

The fact that I've made more progress on the smaller scales is a function of time and gaming dollars available over the years.

And then there is the passion I feel for the various projects.  Giving up World War II, the Cold War, or my African imagi-nations would feel like amputating a part of myself.

So I ponder how to reduce my gaming footprint, while eagerly awaiting an order of 15mm PeterPig late war British infantry to use as the base for my 1958 British Cold War infantry, and look forward to next weekend's model kit show, in hope of finding more aircraft for 20mm Vietnam.

For this battle, there is no end in site.

Recent additions for my 20mm Vietnam gaming.


15 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing the 'Nam stuff get made.

    Lack of storage is the bane of every wargamer.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I get the 6mm 1940 WWII aircraft off of my paint table, I'll be working on those Vietnam kits. Can't wait!

      Delete
  2. You struggle with The Great Balancing Act.
    39 periods!? I thought I was a bit out of control. You, my friend, are off the charts.

    Oh, seeing your recent Vietnam additions makes me long for the days in which I had a large 20mm Vietnam collection. Perhaps another period for which I ought to consider? Rebuilt a once jettisoned period from scratch a second time? That thought is madness and would confirm that selling it off in the first place was a mistake. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say go for it. I've done 20mm Vietnam 3 times now, first with Modelers Mart Firefight 20 figs, then FAA, and then with Britannia. First two times, the figs went away, and couldn't finish units.

      Delete
    2. Mine were FAA. Are FAA figures no longer available?

      Delete
    3. My understanding at the time, and I'm thinking that this was circa 2005-2006, was that FAA had sold off its Vietnam line, and that they were not in production, so I couldn't expand my forces. Additioanlly, they were rather unique in style, so didn't match well with other manufacturers available at the time. I ended up just starting over with Britannia. I still quite like the Britannia figs, though if I were doing it today, I'd probably go with Elheim. My understanding is that FAA is still around, but I don't believe that they have a Vietnam line.

      Delete
  3. A familiar battle, I have been struggling with these same issues myself. I have jettisoned my 1/300 WW2, all of my unpainted 15mm pre-1900 stuff, shed my 2mm/5mm/20mm ACW collections and yet there isn't any extra room in the storage area! What to do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't it a killer? I've let go of 15mm Boxer, ACW, Franco-Prussian, Great War, and Romans and Celts/Britons among other stuff.

      I'm negotiating with the wife for the dining room, we only eat two dinners a year in there, total waste of a big rooms, could stor at least 6 periods in there.

      Delete
  4. Oh this is depressing....second post on similar lines I have read in the last couple of hours....AND my wife mentioned ( for the second time recently) only yesterday, that WHEN we downsize our house (mercifully a few years off yet) "There won't be room for all your soldiers" (I fear she really means ANY.....) . In the meantime, I am just burying my head in the sand and carrying on painting, planning and purchasing more and more stuff I hardly ever get on a table.....my wife was right about that side of her argument, unfortunately....like nuclear weapons, I either have to use them or lose them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. That is a bit unnerving. Though it sounds like you may be following the best possible plan for the time being.

      Delete
    2. Keith, I would begin to worry when the move begins. Until then, FULL STEAM AHEAD!

      Oh, we have a big house with room for an extra boarder or two! Game room and figures come along as a bonus.

      Delete
  5. I recently sold all my 15mmm Colonial and modern Africa stuff. I haven't used either for years and it all went to good homes. Having the storage space back was like having a great weight lifted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. With all of your periods in play I am guessing that you won't get back to the African Campaign and Uwanda and Mugabia anytime soon. You had a great story line going on there. I will hold my breath that sometime in the future it will return. All your other time periods are great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it interesting. Hopefully, it won't be too much longer. I have the next Africa scenario lined up to play, along with a post apoc game, though could still be a couple months at the rate I play games.

      Delete
  7. I have far too much stuff myself but fins it difficult to part with it. One thing I've decided to do is ditch my 28mm lead and plastic pile, as I'll never get roudm to it, apart from a few skirmishy things.

    ReplyDelete