Tuesday, February 2, 2021

January Vanished, But I Found My Mojo Again

Between January first and third, I finished 150 of my 15mm WWII Germans, plus got a start on some other stuff.  After that, I had 27 days of life being a blur of too busy with zero hobby time.  Even if I had found some spare moments, my mojo was nowhere to be seen.

 Friday evening, I tried going downstairs to paint, but just couldn't get it going.  Then, after playing a game Saturday, my mojo ambushed me, and sent me into a spree.  I flocked a few odds and ends, base-coated six 15mm Marder IIs, got most of the painting done on six Jadgpanthers, trying to match 26 year old paint jobs on two others.

The camouflage is a type of ambush pattern from a photo I had at the time, but the kicker is trying to match paint from three different paint lines that are long gone, Pactra Military, ModelMaster enamels, and Polly-S.  Using Vallejo, I thought I got kinda close until looking at this photo.  In person, the green looks a bit too bright, but the brown and yellow looked pretty close.  I'm hoping that when I weather them, I can mute the colors on the new models enough to not stand out too differently from the two old ones.  We'll see, might have to repaint the old ones too.

I'm gonna need more Shermans and Cromwells,

Intermixed with the painting Sunday, and on Monday after work, I also managed to do a bunch of work on the computer, cleaning up and finishing vehicle and infantry stat cards and rules bits for a bunch of stuff.  The resultis that I completed the last steps for 37 projects on my "to do list", which was 261 strong and now down to 224.  A significant chunk, and nearly as many completed projects as I had all of last year.

Maybe not as interesting as the miniatures, but just as 
important, that stat cards for 15mm WWII and 
Cold War miniatures.

Guess maybe I should squeeze in a game more often.

6 comments:

  1. Ah, disappearing Mojo. Like a dog that runs off and won't come when called, or a cat that can't decided whether it wants the door opened to go out and turn around and comes back in to just sit there to have the door opened again.

    Mojo, I know you well.

    PS: Army Painter soft tone wash ought to do the trick, with perhaps a drybrush over the top. Besides, do remember back in WW2 paint wasn't as colorfast as modern stuff, and there were no fixed patterns or solvent for that matter for mixing the pigments supplied to the crews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I chase some down and give it a try. The reality is that I probably should have more variation in my cammo patterns, though i wonder if the ambush schemes were factory paint, I might look into that too.

      Delete
  2. I've been in limbo, too, so I can relate. Saturday, my 8-year old wanted to have a miniatures battle. Even though it was a silly game, I got my interest in the hobby back. I think playing any kind of game works because me at least, that is the end goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I seem to forget that, having so many things that I want to build, and seeming to not have time to play, at the expense of making stuff.

      Delete
  3. Good to have a break now and again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, it really can be good to take a break. I know, I can get so wrapped up in a project, that I start feeling pressure to work on it, which is kind of the opposite of what this is supposed to be, at least for me.

      Delete