Saturday, August 22, 2020

The Ramblings of August

I haven't posted much lately as I haven't been accomplishing much, despite my best effort.  My 6mm Cold War infantry have been painted for for a couple weeks, and most of my time since has gone to labeling and flocking 1200 or so stands of the little fellas  


Troops representing six nations over a span of 40 years.  
Yes, I need to add more.

Heroics & Ros new French Infantry for the war in 1982

To be honest, I haven't been able to get in a good rhythm with this, it is just so repetitive and doesn't feed my creative hunger.  But, they are all labeled and about 45 percent of the flocking is done.  I expect that I'll finish them this weekend, as I should will have a little more free time than usual.

GHQ 1980s US Infantry, curiously, 
they look a little smaller than GHQ's Vietnam era US troops.

As my 6mm Cold War project has hit a period of relative un-excitement, I've also been tinkering with my 28mm Post-Apoc game.  Last month I finally got three new factions organized, painted one, and ordered figs to wrap up two others.  In an effort to feed my creative hunger, I also designed some terrain associated with the factions, and expanded the back story to accompany them.   Unfortunately, my work table is occupied with thousands of 6mm Cold War infantry, so I have nowhere to build the terrain.

A battalion of Soviets from H&R, again newer sculpts, 
will serve in the 1978 to 1982 time-frame, in two different world wars.

As it turns out, the manufacturer for the post-apoc figs is MIA; they took my money and sent no figs, won't reply to e-mail, nothing.  My second order (different company) for bits associated with the newly designed terrain has gone the same route.  I guess given the world situation, these things are bound to happen.  I hope that the people on the other end of my orders are doing okay and staying well.

Luckily, I found a source on E-bay for a replacement for the most critical fig for one of my new factions, and the seller seems to be a stand-up guy, great comms and item arriving early and all, unfortunately my purchase, and someone else's got reversed, so I received some stuff I didn't order, and the fig that I ordered is lost somewhere out in the wastes,  poor little guy, even if he is destined to be a maniacal overlord.

One seriously bright spot in recent weeks was a reply to a e-mail that i had sent to Armaments in Miniature inquiring about some Vietnam era aircraft that Dave (you can e-mail him at aim_schmid@yahoo.com) has been working on.  As it turns out AIM has three new 15mm (1/100) scale models available; the OV-10, the A-37, and the O-2.  As the OV-10 is maybe my all-time favorite military aircraft, and the Dragonfly isn't far behind, I was quite excited.  Still am.   I immediately ordered two each of the OV-10 Broncos and the A-37s, and a single O-2 "Mixmaster" at $15.00 each.  You will need to e-mail about these models, as he simply hasn't had time to update his website.

If you haven't seen any of Dave's work, his models are among the most finely detailed and cast models, that I've ever seen.  Simply beautiful work, and perfect quality.  Dave mentioned that he has decals for the models  (Black Ponies for the OV-10), though I didn't order them, as my Broncos and Mixmaster will serve in Europe in the 1970s , and I still haven't chased down the markings that I'll need for the 601 Tactical Observation Wing (or whichever variant of the name it was using during the years of service of these aircraft).

My A-37s are intended to serve in my fictional African campaign, so I've already made up decals for those.  Though I guess they could arrive as part of an intervention force, its not written in stone yet.

Anyway, my AIM order will be shipped next week, and I'll post some pics of the models as soon as I received them.  it will be good to have a little boost for my 15mm Col War project.  It has been lingering a bit, as the infantry that I was depending on have become unavailable.

Enough rambling for now, I'm off to the dungeon; its time to flock. 

6 comments:

  1. Wow! That's a lot of infantry! I have some of Armaments in Miniature 1/300 aircraft. They are great! I wish he made more at that scale.

    You mentioned you make decals for your aircraft. What is the method that you use? I've had bad luck using decal paper running through an ink jet printer.

    --Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish he made a lot more in 1/300 and 15mm.
      On the decals, it has been awhile, I think that I used Testors paper specifically for inkjet printers and their spray decal set.

      I also printed on White paper, as the result seemed a little more opaque/ less transparent, when applied to the aircraft. The printer was an HP9000(?, I think that was the one).

      I used MicroSet/MicroSol solutions when applying them, and hit them with dull coat at the end.

      Delete
    2. I just checked, and in this post on my blog:
      https://irishserb.blogspot.com/2011/07/first-attempt-at-homemade-decals.html

      I mentioned that I spray the Testors Decal sealant twice. I don't think there is any other notable details, but you can take a look if you want.

      Delete
  2. You have really gotten a lot accomplished! Production line stuff is a bit boring but you have really pushed through a lot. Looking forward to the African Campaign again, you left it at quite a cliff hanger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 1980 GHQ US infantry are smaller than the vietnam ones. They were some of the first 'individual' moderns, and they were smaller (like the Soviets). Then they beefed up the sculpts, starting with the Vietnam Infantry release if I am right (at least these were the first ones I saw and have that are beefier). Have to say that the beefier sculpts are quite nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would make sense. I agree, the Vietnam figs are very nice and have more interesting poses.

      Delete