Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Cold War Micro Armor

My hobby time this year has been dominated by painting over 1500 6mm Cold War models, giving me a total of over 3400 miniatures for my Cold War project.  So, for no good reason, I thought I'd set them out on the table in their trays and take a few pics.



I store my micro armor in trays that slide into in one foot square wooden cubes (each holds six trays).  I changed the design over the years, so the trays measure about 10 inches square or a little over 11 inches square and hold between roughly 150 to 250 vehicles depending on the size.  Around 3200 models are shown in the photo above.




Above are most of my Cold War French with AMX13s, ERC90s, AMX-VTTs, through AMX30s  among those represented.  Some of the French forces for the 1950s will be represented by my American models, but I still need to add a number of French vehicles for the later formations.  Between the unique vehicles designs and evolving TO&Es over the years, I find the French among the most interesting forces to play.




This is one of my UK trays, featuring Conquerors, Ferrets, Scorpions, Saracens, Saladins, and FV432s and variants in this tray.  Most of their heavy armor, Centurions, Chieftains, and Challengers are in another tray.




West German Leopard 1s and M48s. Leo IIs, light armor, and support are in two other trays.




Once of six US trays, this one features APCs; M114s, M75s, M59s, and M113s.




1950s vintage US tanks, M41s, M47s, and M48s in this tray.  Another has M60 variants, and yet another is for M1s and M2s.




Possibly the most interesting of the dozen Soviet trays with SAMs, radars, FROGs, and various bridging and engineering vehicles.  There are almost 1500 pieces of Soviet equipment in all.




A tray of mostly T80s with re-active armor, a small number of these still need painted.  I've focused on finishing the 1950s and 1960s vehicles first, then will finish the remaining 1970s and 1980s models.




A tray of WWII Soviet hardware that served in the 1950s (and later), particularly in some of the Warsaw pact nations. Various JSUs, SU100s, JSIIs, and T34/85s.




Mostly T55s and T62s of varying types from C in C and GHQ.




And some rides for the Soviet infantry, BTR50s, BMP1s, BTR152s (I still need a bunch more of these), and BTR60s of various models.

I still have between 100-200 models that still need paint, most of which require some of the more complex assembly or repair.  Next up are nearly 200 aircraft, and about three quarters of the required infantry.  

I still need to acquire a goodly number of buildings, and decide if I'm going to face-lift my old terrain, while adding the new stuff, or just add the new stuff.

3 comments:

  1. 3400!

    Even if they were all flat green that would be impressive. (where is the Berlin Brigade camo? ;))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, they are all weathered, but the camera blows it almost completely away. I don't know about the Berlin Brigade, but I will eventually finish more Americans with MERDC on them. Only have a few with it now.

      Delete
  2. My goodness, Brian. You've got more tanks than most countries!

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete