Saturday, July 23, 2022

Can't Get a Break

I've only managed about 30 minutes of hobby time since my last post, and besides a limited reading of hobby blogs, the only other hobby activity in recent weeks was contacting a manufacturer to ask about the status of an early June order for some 15mm vehicles that hadn't shown up.

They quickly discovered a snafu, resolved it, and sent the order.  On arrival, I discovered that I had made an error.  I ordered the miniatures having read that they were made of resin, thinking "cast in resin", but they are in fact printed in resin.  I'm the one gamer that is not a big fan of printed miniatures, and would not have ordered these had I realized that they were printed, as the extremely light weight, and stepped layers from the printing process are both issues for me.  So despite the high quality of detail, I was a bit let down by the models.  Live and learn.

But these models weren't done, adding further to my learning curve.  Another problem that I hadn't considered; the undersides (all lower hull and tires) of half of the vehicles are not completely cured, and are extremely sticky, almost liquid.  I can press a finger tip into them and leave a finger print, or have a finger puppet.  My choice. 

Otherwise, life has thrown another curve at me, so I'm looking at another four weeks of even less hobby time.  Hopefully I can come back to the hobby by the end of August, by which time I figure that I should be full of hobby mojo.   And though I whine about these inconveniences here, I'm keeping it all in perspective.  I see a lot of other people out there dealing with serious health issues, major financial problems, etc.  Things could be a lot worse, and I'm thankful that in the big picture, I'm doing okay.

For now, I'll leave you with this:

My "current" project and dust collector.  
Mama's Farm, a 28mm communal post apocalyptic farm.

Hope you are all having a great summer, and best of luck to you.  As the big guy once said, "I'll be back!"


8 comments:

  1. That all sounds extremely frustrating. Curing us by UV, so you could leave them in the sun belly up. Really it should have been done for you though. I think it can over cure and get brittle, maybe don't just leave them in the summer sun for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it all goes well. Always frustrating when the hobby time is limited but the inspiration is high.

    The farm looks great. At least you will have some time to consider different options before finishing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not the only one, I hate the impossible to sand and remove lines all over models. I bite my tongue when I see some painted models on blogs being frothed over despite the ugly combed effect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be careful with touching the bottom of the models! I hope you quickly washed your hands. That resin is supposed to be pretty toxic. That is probably the main reason why I have not taken the plunge into 3D printing yet.
    Maybe is you exposed the bottom of the models to sunlight, they will cure up and harden.
    --Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there! Doesn't sound life threatening so that is great, just having a rough patch right now. And like you said when you get back you will be so ready to jump in with both feet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uncured and visible step lines? Neither is particularly acceptable in this day and age. You could leave the uncured stuff in the sun for a couple days, but really, that's not what you should get from a professional product.

    Hopefully life eases up a bit soon and you can get back to the important stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the advice and well wishes. I'll attempt to harden the resin, when I get back to hobbying. I suspect that it was a second snafu that occurred when they rushed to get my order out, after the delay. Thanks again everybody.

    ReplyDelete