Saturday, June 16, 2018

Slow Progress on the Painting Front

Well, my Christmas wave of mojo finally ran out.  I loaded up my painting table five weeks ago, with expectations of a painting frenzy, and in all that time have painted only 13 miniatures.

A bunch of game scenarios that I want to play await one bit or another to be finished before they can be played, but just can't work up the juice to get much done.

I have been doing a bit of reading, re-visiting some of Drake's Hammers Slammers stuff, cruised through "Fighting for the French Foreign Leagion" by Alex lochrie ( a great read by the way), and continuing (of all things) my 40k adventure with the Horus Heresy series. Quite the departure from my usual peace loving sci-do fare from Arthur C. Clarke and whatnot

Anyway, Horus heresy; I sort of got bogged down in the first half of "Fulgrim", but otherwise have quite enjoyed it thus far.  I've always struggled with the pageantry of 40K, and the way it manifested in the game, but the books have actually helped reduce my struggle a little.  I could do with a little less repetition of the magnificence of the space marines every bloody time one of them walks into the room though.

I even considered jumping back into 40k briefly, despite not having played since the days of Rogue Trader. After a bit of digging, I considered painting up some salamanders ( I had s great idea for a paint scheme where the flames world have broken up the green into a scale pattern on parts of the armor), but found that my force would cost upwards of $4500 and kind of scrapped that idea.

Would have been nice to be able to game at the local shop, but then again, I could buy almost none of it through the shop, and that doesn't seem right to me.

I've also been researching for a WWII Barbarossa campaign with some focus on and around Smolensk, but trying to find detailed maps for tactical games has been a pain.  Maybe for the time being, I should just stick to 1940 France; I've got lots of maps for that.

So that's what I've been spinning my wheels on lately, instead of painting.  Hope you've had a little more mojo than I have.  I'll try to get some pics of something interesting up soon.


5 comments:

  1. This link might help with the WW2 maps http://www.armchairgeneral.com/rkkaww2/maps.htm.

    Cheers
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a lot of Mojo in my world either, but I do keep up with blogs! (or try to)

    The HH series is generally quite good, although some books are poor, and it gets pretty sprawling after the first 8 books or so.

    40k is going to have a skirmish system launch sometime this year, so you might look for that... buying and painting a couple of marine squads is much more achievable than a 40k army proper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, since I wrote this post, I stumbled into an old copy of the 40K compendium for a few bucks, and think that I'm going to go old school and play some of those games that I never played, when the game was less restrictive.

      Though I could do up just a small number of Salamanders for the new system too. Opportunities are endless. Too bad hobby time isn't.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete