Friday, October 7, 2011

WIPs: 15mm M113A1 Master

Shortly after I started working on 15mm modern vehicles masters, I roughed out several hulls and chassis for various vehicles with plans to work on them in batches, as I had with World War II vehicles some years before.  Unfortunately, a problem with tendons in my right hand decided that I would progress at a much slower pace, so a number of these roughed out models went into the "wait 'til later" heap on my workbench. One of those chassis was that of a M113A1 personnel carrier. 

When I work on masters, I usually work on two of them simultaneously, adding detail to one and then the other, while the work on the first one dries.  After wrapping up my AAV7, I needed another master to work on while trying to finish my M-ATV.  So, rather than starting another model, I pulled the M113 out of the heap.  While I continue to close in on the M-ATV, the M113 came together very quickly, and it may well be done before the M-ATV.  Anyway, here are some WIP photos of my M113 hull:





The M113 is a very compact vehicle, as shown below, next to one of my M2A2 Bradleys.



My M113A1 will be a five piece model, Hull, 2x tracks, commanders hatch, and .50 cal MG and mount  for the commander.  The tracks are still pretty rough, and I have yet to start on the MG.  I don't really have a completion date for the M113, but it won't take too much time before it is done.  I just wish the M-ATV would come along as quickly.  

4 comments:

  1. really nice stuff. Very inspiring.
    How do you do the wheels and tracks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez you do some real nice work mate, for future reference where do I purchase your stuff from ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wheels I usually turn on a lathe in styrene or acrylic. Tracks are a combination of styrene strips, and styrene and/or brass tube and rod, carved or turned and then assembled to create the track.

    ReplyDelete